Topic Proposal For Autism-Education Project

September 27, 2010

Mikhael Shklyarevsky                                                                                                                                                                                  1

English 379

Professor Lee

Topic Proposal

September 28, 2010

Topic Proposal

1.                  For my project, I intend to address the issue of autism and special education. In special education schools, autistic students are provided with services such as speech and occupational therapy to help them with their disability, though these services are allowed to take up more than half of their class time. These students also receive other kinds of assistance in order to make up for their disability in ways, such as by being given extra time on tests, and taking a test in a separate room. Autistic students, however, did not always receive such services. Only in the late 19th century, did people recognize the kind of treatment that these individuals needed, commencing the process of deinstitutionalization. By 1975, the federal government required schools to provide free and full education to students with disabilities. And, in the 1990 Americans with Disabilities Act, the United States government extended that law by providing these individuals with assistance in their education as well. Thus, approximately in the past 100 years, students with disabilities have seen a fundamental change in how their education has been treated.

2.                  While working on my project, I will research the issues of autism and education (special education). These issues will be researched by working with autistic students under the supervision of an expert. In order to become better informed about special education and my work with these students, I will conduct research on the Internet and interviews with experts on autism and education at a special education school. In order to gain interviewing access to the experts at the special education school, I will remind them that I studied at their school for almost 10 years, owe a lot of my success there and at college to their help, and so, would like to help them. I do anticipate, though, encountering beaurucratic barriers to my efforts.

3.                  In order to realize my project, I will begin by researching the information that I am not already familiar with. Once I have finished my research, my next step will be to obtain interviews, through contacts, with administrators at the Summit School, a special education school and at the community organizations of GRASP (the Global and Regional Asperger Syndrome Partnership) and the Asperger Syndrome and High-Functioning Autism Association, in order to understand the issues of autism and education from a professional perspective. Once these steps are finished, my intention is to combine the information all of these interviews and see what positive effect it can have. A possible way that I might try to raise awareness is to write an article about the findings in a newsletter that YAI (Young Adult Institute) publishes. It might raise awareness since I have already published an article there about the Americans with Disabilities Act. In taking such an action, my goal is to raise awareness about the status of mental health and education in special education schools.  

4.                  Considering that I would like to raise awareness of the status that special education finds itself in, these are the following questions I have concerning it:

A.    What steps could be taken to accommodate autistic students with attention-deficit problems better?

B.     What measures could be used to erase, or at least ease, the stigma that autistic students attending special education schools feel once they are out in society?

C.     How can special education schools motivate students with autism to make friends with their fellow students in order to build social networks for the present and future?

Works Cited

1.                   Ackerman, Paul, Jaeger, Robert, and Smith, Annie. Answers.com.

2.                  Attwood, Tony. The Complete Guide to Asperger’s Syndrome. Great Britain: Jessica Kingsley Publishers, 2007.

3.                  Grandin, Temple. “Teaching Tips for Children and Adults With Autism.” Chld-Autism-Parent-Café.com. July 1996.

4.                  Rudy, Lisa Jo. “Educational Options for Children with Autism.” About.com Guide. Web. 17 April 2009.

5.                  Creedon, Margaret, Egel, Andrew, Holmes, David L., Mesibov, Gary B. Pratt, Cathy L. Robbins, Frank, and Schopler, Eric. “How Students with Autism Learn.” Autism-Society.org.

3 Responses to “Topic Proposal For Autism-Education Project”

1.   Kelly Berg Says:

I think that this is a wonderful project! I, myself, am studying to be a special education teacher but am a bit turned off with the New York City public school special education program. Anyone can be thrown into these classrooms – even for behavioral problems and I think it takes away from the students who actually need the help. Something that I find frustrating with the New York City Public School Education system is the things they forget to mention about the special programs that students can receive – like extra time on tests – if you decide to take it away from your child, they can never get it back in the rest of their school years.

I think it will be a great project and something that needs a bit more attention! I also found it interesting that you have already published something on the topic – good for you! I am sure your project will work because you are so dedicated to the cause and already have a great deal of connections.

2.   rkhan826 Says:

I think your project is on a great subject. I also like the fact that this is something you yourself have personal experience dealing with, which wont only give it a personal touch but you can also explain with common knowledge to your fellow classmates. Raisng awareness on such topics as autism, is something that many people don’t know about and by you doing this can enlighten us all and help more people spread the word for awareness.

3.   Zada Stagno Says:

Getting education is a birth right of every individual. Keeping this fact in mind many colleges and universities located all over the world are engaged in offering special education help courses in order to meet the rising demands of the students throughout the world. Such kind of courses are also designed and structured for the disable students who otherwise face difficulty in getting education. These days, a new revolution has taken place in the field of education which is beneficial only not for the students but also for the parents. ;

Remember to find out more about our favorite blog page
    <http://www.healthmedicinelab.com/pictures-of-spider-bites/